Today I spent a few hours preparing ethanol/water and DMSO/water extracts of Curcuma, Ginseng and Artemisia Annua. The outcome (including the formulation) is shown in the picture below.
The idea for using not only ethanol or DMSO but also water is to extract the water soluble components too. The intention is to use these extracts as topical or oral application. Actually, the best Curcumin IV formulation I have seen so far is such an extract, off course sterilized. It can have stronger anti cancer effects compared to pure Curcumin and that is because this extraction method will not only extract Curcumin but also some other curcuminoids such as demethoxycurcumin (DMC) and bisdemethoxycurcumin (BDMC).
Indeed, all three major Curcuma extracts are known to posses important anticancer potential. Here are a few studies indicating that:
- Curcumin, demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin differentially inhibit cancer cell invasion through the down-regulation of MMPs and uPA http://www.jnutbio.com/article/S0955-2863(08)00004-1/abstract
- Bisdemethoxycurcumin (BDMC) is a Topoisomerases-IIα (TOP2A) inhibitor http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23928695. This mechanism is similar as chemotheraphy such as Etoposide.
- Oxidative Transformation of Demethoxy- and Bisdemethoxycurcumin: Products, Mechanism of Formation, and Poisoning of Human Topoisomerase IIα. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25806475
- Therapeutic potential of turmeric in Alzheimer’s disease: curcumin or curcuminoids? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23873854
- Evaluation of in vitro anti-proliferative and immunomodulatory activities of compounds isolated from Curcuma longa. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20438793
- Immunostimulatory activities of polysaccharide extract isolated from Curcuma longa. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20609432
- It was observed that BDMC inhibited the TGF-β1 induced EMT in 95D cells. Furthermore, it also inhibited the Wnt signaling pathway by upregulating WIF-1 protein expression. In addition, WIF-1 manipulation studies further revealed that WIF-1 is a central molecule mediating BDMC response towards TGF-β1 induced EMT by regulating cell invasion and migration. http://www.cmj.org/article.asp?issn=0366-6999;year=2015;volume=128;issue=10;spage=1376;epage=1383;aulast=Xu
Lately, I started to see the power of the whole plant and not only one specific extract from plants. As we have seen in the post on Artemisia Annua, one gram of the whole plant may be more effective then one gram of pure Artemisinin extract from the whole plant. I believe this is the case for Curcumin too, at least the case of the IV formulation. So, when searching for IV suppliers we may want to check if the IV contains the hole plant or an extract only.
Fore more discussion on Curcumin please go to the following post https://www.cancertreatmentsresearch.com/?p=1281