Nearly two years ago, I promised I will dedicate my life to contributing to the improvement and extension of advanced cancer patients life (Ref.).
Since that time, I haven’t had the time to add much content on this website. At least not as much as I would like, while there are so many things I would like to say and so many areas of oncology related science I would like to explore.
However, there were a lot of things happening in the background along the line of my promise to you. More specifically, I had to make a choice between writing on this website and actually more directly contributing to life. And so, most of the time I had available I spent on a more direct contribution, by answering e-mails and phone calls from cancer patients and their family, and sharing the knowledge I have in this field with them. All for free, with no fees associated.
I also spent a good amount of time communicating with medical doctors and scientists. Along this line, I have already contributed to a scientific article published in a peer review journal (my first in oncology related science) and currently considering contributing to another scientific article and scientific book in the same field.
Communicating and working on all these fronts is not easy as it requires too often switching mind from one subject to the other, and from content to processes. It implies communication with people with different needs (patients, scientists, clinicians), and it implies communication with people located everywhere across the globe. Acting as a bridge, and creating coherence out of all this is challenging but the results can be extremely valuable for all involved. I’ve seen some great results coming out of such collaboration, and that is a result of the commitment and professional attitude of many of those involved. As a result, I think we are on to something big. I will share more about these results in the context of the subjects I will discuss regarding the activity I plan within the Foundation.
As I promised to you and myself, I will stop my current job very soon. It’s a matter of months now. That is a job I love, in a company I love, and with people and culture I love. It’s hard to stop that job but I feel I have the capability and the responsibility for helping people at a stage in life when they need the most help. Doing part time one job and part time helping cancer patients is not sustainable for any of the activities. Therefore, I will dedicate my full time to oncology. I am and will be focused mainly on advanced cancer. I do that because I understand the pain and the urgent needs of the advanced cancer patients and their family.
Although making a difference in the world is challenging, not to speak about doing that in oncology field, I am committed to take this road, do the best I can to the best of my knowledge, with the best intentions, and to succeed.
Every road I took in life lead to above average results, including breakthrough discovery in science during by PhD (Ref.1, Ref.2). I expect and already started to see that with God’s help, the road I take on oncology will lead to even better results. The drive related to the purpose, next to the passion, capabilities and experience I have in Science & Technology, Business and Spirituality give me a good base to move forward on this path in a balanced and unbiased manner, and achive the goal.
Therefore, my goal is to generate treatment options to improve and extend life of cancer patients
- while considering all perspectives from hardcore science to spirituality
- and all relevant tools to address those perspectives, from natural therapies to conventional therapies, including chemo-, radio-, immuno-therapy and surgery
- with a specific focus on advanced stage of cancer, when patients are left without treatment options
- with the involvement of patient communities, scientists, clinicians and any relevant organization
In other words, I l will keep an unbiased, balanced and open mind with a clear goal in mind, i.e. people’s LIFE. Not ego, not science, not money, but LIFE. And I only expect fairness from all those involved.
Why I think and know there is much more that can be done for advanced cancer patients?
Given all the scientific information exposed on this website, and much more that I did not had the chance to share yet, we now have an ample amount of scientific based evidence to easily argue that great value is confined in the academic space, while not much of that is touching the patients, yet.
That is not only demonstrated by many case reports in humans such as those referenced in various articles consolidated on this website, but also by our own experience, in which my dear wife has succeeded to live much longer compared to what would be typically expected for her case (expected months, we extended to three years). The life extension was achieved at a quality of life level good enough so that we were flying to other continents for holidays. I think there is no need to explain how valuable such time could be. This and possibly more, is the value that we could get by tapping into the academic science.
We started from zero knowledge on medicine and could get that in a short time. Now imagine what the world could obtain when teams of experienced scientist and medical doctors would focus on extracting the valuable and untouched findings from the academia, and enable the application of those for advanced cancer patients left with no options.
Indeed, based on great results recently reported to me and soon to be addressed on this website, it is not a hope but a fact that wonders can be done when the right people, intentions and tools are coming together.
At this point, you may ask yourself why that value from academic space is not reaching the patients yet. Some of the answers to that question are well known and widely accepted:
- Industry needs: those responsible to pick the “cherries” from the academic space are businesses. A business is driven primarily by investors needs and the medical solutions will be chosen such that they will address those needs. If those needs are not addressed first, the investors will move their money/support elsewhere and the company will sooner or latter go out of activity. This is why the company needs to make sure the investors are satisfied, which implies that the revenue and profitability of the company needs to constantly get higher and higher. Otherwise the company will be lost and another competitor will replace it. This is the system that WE ALL, the society, have put in place and in a way or another we are all responsible for its results, whether we like the results or not. Therefor, large amount of academic discoveries that are not representing business opportunity are simply not considered by the industry, and are lost in the academic research
- Time to develop drugs: some discoveries may be too new and did not had the chance to be identified by the industry and developed to the level required for becoming a drug. In order to become an oncology drug, typically, each substance needs to go through a clinical trial consisting out of several phases, lasting typically about 10 years in total for each drug, at a cost of about 1$ billion
- Communication gap: finally, yet another reason why much of the academic discoveries remain “lost” is due to a large disconnect between academics and clinicians. Most clinicians are extremely busy, seeing patients all day and have no time and experience for scientific communication, and more importantly for translation of science into clinical solutions. Typically, the bridge between the two are the pharma companies, developing drugs and writing treatment protocols.
Regardless of the reason behind, the fact is that great value for cancer patients remains confined in the academic space. That value could be related to ways to improve the effectiveness of existing cancer treatments, or can be represented by new treatment approaches.
How to make this value accessible to the patients? The Plan
I plan to generate value for patients through 3 major channels:
- The Blog: A place to continue exposing new treatment approaches where/how to be accessed
- The non-profit Foundation: A professional “platform” to bridge the gap between Academicians and Clinicians and facilitate the implementation of new and most effective treatment approaches for Patients
- The Company: A supplement Company to improve effectiveness of supplements based on the scientific knowledge acquired and generate the financial support required to turn the Foundation in to a professional organization
The website www.cancertreatmentsresearch.com will continue to run as it was initially started, that is as a Blog. The Foundation name (MCS Foundation for Life) is associated with a new website, representing the website of the Foundation. Here is the website (under construction). The goal of the Blog, is to continue exposing new treatment approaches where the post will represent purely my personal opinion and findings, i.e. not that of the Foundation. However, there will be a natural connection between the Blog and the Foundation, and as a result the projects and results of the Foundation will also be communicated on this website.
The blog has become a relevant source of information for cancer patients and their family. This is reflected in more than 1.5 million page views since I started while not doing any form of advertising. It has also become a relevant meeting point between myself, patients, scientists and clinicians with whom I am in constant contact on the website or via private communications. As this seems to add value to the world, I intend to continue growing the content of this website with subjects that I found most relevant for cancer patients.
More than 0.5 million unique visitors have visited the website since it’s beginnings, 3 years ago, and about 0.01% have donated to support the continuity of the website. That is about 50 people donating during this time. I would like to thank you to all those who have supported so far this website and related research activity, and who will further support it. There are costs related to storage space and domain name, costs related to protecting the website from (random) DDoS attacks that are searching constantly for weaknesses in websites, and cost related to solving technical issues. I usually try to solve them myself but when that is not possible I search for technical support. Some of these donations, I have further donated to people who really need it, including some of the visitors of this website. Again, thank you to those making donations and please realize that you have a share of any positive impact that this website has on life. Even 1$ matters, that is less than the cost of a coffee. We all have the tendency to think that someone else will do it and we end up with nearly nobody doing it. I have had most of my free time spent with research, sharing, answering e-mails and Skype calls and never asked for money. But we have to realize that if we want a better world, we also have to contribute in some way. With our time and energy or with our resources. Otherwise, such work cannot be sustainable. The alternative of the work such as the one done on this website is business. And we all know that business needs are aligned along the needs of the patients but are not always matching perfectly the needs of the people. It’s our choice, of everyone reading this, on how we like to continue building this world.
The non-profit Foundation:
Together with the help of two good friends, on October 18th 2017, exactly one-year latter since the passing of my dear wife, we have succeeded to incorporate Mihaela Catalina Stanciu Foundation for Life. The name we now use is MCS Foundation for Life and its website (under construction at this time) is here https://www.mcsfoundationforlife.org
The goal of the foundation is the same as stated above. That is to improve and extend life of cancer patients.
In order to do this the Foundation will
- select new treatment options or new treatment strategies that are most promising in our view
- become a bridge, to facilitate the connection and flow of value (effective solutions) between Academics and Clinicians
- join or create academic teams around the treatment options to support clinicians
- join other Foundations to identify countries and regulations that allow implementations of new treatment options or new treatment strategies
- when funds will be available, we will support research and development of treatment options we find most relevant, while having in mind both effectiveness and accessibility, with a shorter-term focus on implementation
- when new options prove to be effective, the Foundation will support their implementation including support of FDA applications
- represent an information hub for patients, regarding the above
In doing this, the Foundation will have an unbiased approach. The goal is effectiveness, not wishes. Therefore, all spectrum of potential treatments will be considered, from natural therapies to conventional therapies, including chemo-, radio-, immuno-therapy and surgery. From existing to new therapies. Based on current evidence, I expect the outcome in terms of effective solutions will be a combination of two or more treatments.
At this point we are two active members in the Foundation. We are glad to consider other contributors. The goal is to turn the Foundation into a professional organization. One that is sustainable and can grow, and where contributors can finally work full time not only volunteer work. Otherwise we better stop. However, based on recent results, I believe that this is possible and the Foundation will have an important impact along its goal.
For the Foundation activity, the streams of financial support we expect are:
- we will consider applications for grants and if required consultancy fees
- start up a Supplement Company (MCSFormulas), of which major part of the profits will be donated to the Foundation
Based on the experience from past years, it becomes clear that in order to build a sustainable Foundation, a stable financial support stream is required, next to possible donations that cannot be planned. At the same time, based on the findings from large amount of scientific literature I went through, it becomes apparent that some of the most relevant supplements we often discuss can be improved in terms of effectiveness when combined with other supplements. Another challenge that needs to be addressed and that I experienced while buying the supplements for my wife is the quality of supplements as I wanted to be 100% sure I buy active ingredients and not supplements that have lost their activity due to e.g. storage conditions, etc.
Given the above, I came to the conclusion that starting up a supplement company will add value in two different ways to the patients:
- give the patients possibility to have their supplements acquired from a company donating most of the profits to the oncology Foundation to create value back for the patients
- create more effective supplements via new combinations to improve effectiveness and insure quality & active ingredients by putting in place specific control processes
Therefore, I decided to start up a Company that would donate 51% of its profits to the MCS Foundation for Life and other related causes. The rest of the profits would be allocated to the investors and the startup team. I still have to find the investors with whom the purpose here resonates. I did found a great team member here and will look for other potential collaborators.
The name of the company will be MCSFormulas. It will be incorporated in the Netherlands and it will act globally. The company will start it’s activity in the first quarter of 2020.
Just to be clear, I am doing all these for patients. I have a great job, in a top multinational and a high impact position (Ref.). I would not need more than what I now have to live a normal and good life outside the oncology field. But I feel the responsibility to do my best in achieving what I presented above.
Furthermore, I would prefer to spend time with the Blog and the Foundation only, but since it is difficult for cancer patients and their families to support such activity, I must find an effective way to generate financial support by myself, as anything that must run and grow in this world requires financial support. This is why the major need to start a Company. I could ask money for the coaching time with the patients and their families, but I prefer not to do that. As long as I can, my help is for free and with love for all of you.
If you have any suggestions, on how the above plan can be improved and how some of the above can be accelerated, please let me know. It is my pleasure to consider any suggestions. I actually need and hope others will be willing to contribute more.
Finally, I would like to conclude this post with the following: All the time and energy that has been invested in this website, by me, contributors and collaborators, online and offline, starts to pay off. Please check this website in the coming weeks and you will see why I am saying that. Great results are emerging and that is due to the energy of many people coming together and acting in a coherent manner. I am now more confident than ever, that great solutions against cancer can be found. On this line, one of the first and major project of the Foundation will be presented soon here.
I wish you all a great weekend and thank you for taking the time to read this long post!
This site is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. Through this site and linkages to other sites, I provide general information for educational purposes only. The information provided in this site, or through linkages to other sites, is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider. I am not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this site. This is just my own personal opinion regarding what we have learned on this road.
Please read an extended version of the Disclaimer here: https://www.cancertreatmentsresearch.com/?page_id=1794