Breast cancer cells...

Notifications
Clear all

Breast cancer cells shift their metabolic strategy to metastasize

johan
(@j)
Topic starter  

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-reveals-breast-cancer-cells-shift.html

"Historically, tumors were thought to contain dysfunctional mitochondria and be principally sustained by anaerobic glycolysis, or Warburg metabolism. Our work challenges that dogma and shows that  use mitochondrial metabolism during metastatic spread." (Devon A. Lawson, Ph.D)

johan
(@j)
Topic starter  

Last night I was watching a presentation by Thomas Siegfried and he said that cancer cells are not "smart" they just ferment, and it's easy to kill them if you just take away the glucose and glutamine. It doesn't seem to be that simple.

Daniel and Mk liked
ReplyQuote
Yudaitheska
(@yudaitheska)

@johan

Dear Johan, what is your opinion about cancer cells actually developing epithelial to mesenchymal transition to metastasize VS the theory that it is the fussion between macrophages and cancer cells with their "defective" mitochondrial the actual cause of metastases..? 

ReplyQuote
Yudaitheska
(@yudaitheska)

Posted by: @johan

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-reveals-breast-cancer-cells-shift.html

"Historically, tumors were thought to contain dysfunctional mitochondria and be principally sustained by anaerobic glycolysis, or Warburg metabolism. Our work challenges that dogma and shows that  use mitochondrial metabolism during metastatic spread." (Devon A. Lawson, Ph.D)

I tried reading the whole article but couldn't get access... I wonder what they meant by oxidative phosporilation... Did they mean the whole krebs cycle with energy production through the electron transfer chain...? Or was it glutamine driven oxidative phosporilation? 

ReplyQuote
johan
(@j)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @yudaitheska

@johan

Dear Johan, what is your opinion about cancer cells actually developing epithelial to mesenchymal transition to metastasize VS the theory that it is the fussion between macrophages and cancer cells with their "defective" mitochondrial the actual cause of metastases..? 

Hi yudaitheska, I think it's highly likely that they're are many different mechanisms of metastasis. I actually don't subscribe to any theory but rather look at cancer as a systemic disease.

ReplyQuote
johan
(@j)
Topic starter  

I wonder what they meant by oxidative phosporilation... Did they mean the whole krebs cycle with energy production through the electron transfer chain...? Or was it glutamine driven oxidative phosporilation? 

they talk about the former. 

"We found that micrometastases display a distinct transcriptome program and identified mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) as a top pathway upregulated dur-ing metastatic seeding. This was confirmed at the molecular level, where we demonstrated that micrometastatic cells display increased mitochondrial membrane potential and a distinct metabolic profile. We further found that the pharmacological inhibition of OXPHOS, specifically in cancer cells, attenuates metastatic seeding in the lungs using two different breast cancer experimental metastasis models. These data show that OXPHOS is functionally important for metas-tasis and suggest that different metabolic strategies may be advanta-geous for cells to complete discrete stages of the metastatic cascade."

ReplyQuote
johan
(@j)

ReplyQuote
johan
(@j)
Topic starter  

ok, I think the first screenshot didn't upload correctly  ? 

ReplyQuote
Yudaitheska
(@yudaitheska)

@johan thank you!! Very interesting

ReplyQuote
Share: