I will use this post to address two points: one related to the recently launched food supplement company MCS Formulas and the other related to a recent and relevant finding on modulating immune cell activation:
Several points related to MCS Formulas and related activities
Recently, we just started the supplement company with own savings again, to create a mechanism to contribute to society. This is the only chance to convert what we are doing here into something professional. This is extreme hard work and if I would not have very clear for whom I am doing this, I would stop immediately and go back to a normal life.
On top of that, I would like to clarify that I recently applied at the Tax Office with a request (which was approved) so that I will not receive any salary from MCS Formulas during 2020, while working for this more than for any job I ever had (which was typically more than the average). This is because I want to have everything going back into the company to be able to growth fast and make an important difference to life as soon as possible through the projects that we support and others to come. This means that I continue to run on own savings as I did since the beginning of 2019 when I left behind a very good job, to dedicate my full time to oncology and help people.
Of course, I hope and expect that next year I will have a normal salary and we will be able to have payed colleagues to help expand our activity.
(There are a few donations that come via www.cancertreatmentsresearch.com “Donate” button but those were typically enough each month to pay for the web-services in order to keep this website up and running. Thank you to those kind enough to support this website.)
The point with all this is so that everything is transparent and you know what happens behind the “scenes” of
- Cancer Treatments Research
- MCS Foundation for Life
- MCS Formulas
Regarding the sales at MCS Formulas during the first weeks of its existence, I am happy to let you know that it is going well, above the initial expectations. People find the products very good and the price fair, i.e. the value that we indeed intended to offer. As a result, we also started to get the support of some people that we all appreciate, the name of which I will share with you soon.
The point related to the Immune System A ‘Switch’ to Modulate Immune Cell Activation: Relevant to Cancer and Autoimmunity
I recently came across this very relevant research that I would like to share with you:
- Here is a short story about this research in Science Daily: Fighting autoimmunity and cancer: The nutritional key https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200507094809.htm
- And here is the original article: Glutathione Restricts Serine Metabolism to Preserve Regulatory T Cell Function https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32213345/
Essentially, this study addresses the following points:
- The balance between immune activation and suppression in the human body is regulated by “T regulatory cells”. When the immune systems over reacts, Tregs proliferate and as a result are suppressing T cells
- So we could argue that by controlling T regulatory cells we determine the balance between autoimmunity and anti-cancer activity. The more active Treg cells, the less active is the immune system.
- The study above, found that there is a relation between Glutathione and Treg cells
- High Glutathione -> High activity in Treg cells -> lower activity of the immune system
- Low Glutathione -> Low activity in Treg cells -> high activity of the immune system
Therefore, controlling GSH level may help control Treg activity. This is a great piece of information since there are cases when we want to have the immune system acting more intensively (such as in the cases when patients use immuno therapies) and other cases when we prefer to reduce the immune reaction (such as in cases of auto immune disease).
There are various supplements and drugs that can help control the GSH level inside cells. HERE I discussed a strategy to suppress Glutathione (and other anti-oxidants) that, based on the above study, could be implemented to support immuno therapy.
The same study also found that when Glutathione is reduced in Treg cells, serine metabolism increases in an effort to produce Glutathione and prevent Reactive Oxygen Species accumulation but that still did not activated Tregs. Interestingly, when serine is depleted (via e.g. diet) T regs, can recover their function even if the Glutathione level is low, uncovering a more important role of Serine in Tregs function.
One other important point made in this study was that regulatory T cells had about three times as much Glutathione as other T cells. This means that near the tumours where Reactive Oxygen Spices are higher, T reg cells can survive and proliferate much better compared to T cells, and in turn inhibit the immune function.
In conclusion, it seems that controlling Glutathione levels is key in controlling the activity of the immune system. This is very important for us since
- during immuno-therapy we want to enable or increase the activity of the immune cells
- while immediately after therapies that induce tumor necrosis we may want to reduce the over reaction of the immune system connected to inflammatory activity that could even lead to fast re-growth of tumors
This site is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. Through this site and linkages to other sites, I provide general information for educational purposes only. The information provided in this site, or through linkages to other sites, is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider. I am not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this site. This is just my own personal opinion regarding what we have learned on this road.
Please read an extended version of the Disclaimer here: https://www.cancertreatmentsresearch.com/?page_id=1794